Special thanks to our show sponsor Brusso Hardware.
On today’s show, we’re talking about kids in the shop.
What’s on the Bench
Marc – Has a new puppy!
Matt – Assembling cabinets and breaking screws!
– Joey wants to know what we do to make our shop’s kid-friendly.
– Joe is looking for project ideas as well as tool recommendations when working with kids in the shop.
Here are some helpful links from the community:
– Josh Hulbert suggested Woodworking for Kids
– Graham Ward suggested WoodShop for Kids
– Stephen Watson recommends Zany Wooden Toys that Whiz, Spin, Pop and Fly
– Charlie Stone – “I started taking my daughter in the shop with me when she was about 2 1/2 years old. She became interested in what I was doing on her own. She wanted to help daddy. Kids of all ages can help on any project. Each of my girls now have their own egg beater drills, hand saws, shop made mallets, shop made rulers, and tool boxes they made. I have 4 woodworking daughters the oldest is 13, my youngest if almost 5. * Note, Amazon has pink kids safety glasses…”
– Christopher Landy recommends the NY Times article Kindergarten Shop Class
– Steve Ramsey – “My #1 tip is to realize that the majority of children will have zero interest in woodworking and will be bored to tears in the shop. Find a project they can make in about 30 minutes. If they lose interest in 10 minutes, let them go. It is probably best to let kids feel free to hang out with you and only offer to build something if they ask.” His candle holder video.
– Arnold Amoros – “I used to take my sisters to the Saturday Home Depot kids workshop. They though roughly enjoyed it. It was working with wood assembling projects they could keep. Pieces were pre cut, so no need to work with dangerous tools they were not ready for.”
Reviews and Thanks!
Are you interested in setting up a recurring donation to help support the show? Use the links in the left column! We’d like to thank Bill C. and Wayne W. as well as everyone else for their continued support.
Don’t forget to leave us a kick-butt review in the iTunes Store.