* This season on New Yankee Workshop, Norm is building… kitchen cabinets!? Do you find watching Norm build cabinets interesting? Or is this season a bit boring to you? Let us know what you think!
* Check out Dave Noftz’s website and podcast at modernwoodshop.com.
* Matt signed up for a handsaw class with Chris Schwarz.
* There are lots of new blogs and podcasts about woodworking starting up.
– The Teenage Woodworker (http://lumberjocks.com/teenagewoodworker/blog/3383)
– Dave Noftz (http://www.modernwoodshop.com)
– Kaleo (http://www.kaleosworkshop.com) (Note, no longer active)
– Gord Graff (http://blip.tv/gord-graff) (http://www.gordgraff.com/)
* Matt is thinking of upgrading his table saw. But, should he upgrade or buy new? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.
* Glen Huey: Article on Popular Woodworking’s blog about new plunge cut saws (similar to Festool’s) being made by DeWalt and Makita available in Europe. (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/plunge-cut-saws-available-in-europe)
Voicemails / Emails:
* Skee – Minnesota
I’m in Minnesota where it’s cold. My workshop is out in a detached garage. If I put a big portable heater out there and temporarily heat the space for a day at a time, am I going to harm my tools or hurt the wood by letting it cycle through hot and cold if I heat the garage up to 50 or 60 to stand being out there, then it drops down to 20 degrees at night? I know I can’t do glue-ups and finishing in this weather, but what about milling the wood and doing cuts? Then I can wait till the Spring to do the glue-ups and finishing. What do you think?
* Roberto – Voicemail
I have a question concerning a type of wood species. I am going to build an entire bedroom set. I’m looking for kiln-dried Manayo wood. I’ve been looking on the internet, and I can’t find it at all. Maybe it goes by another name?
We couldn’t find anything, but if you know of a source for Manayo wood, leave us a comment, send us an email, or leave us a voicemail so we can pass the information along.
* Dan – Florida
I have three quick questions for you:
1) what do you think of the Leigh Isoloc dovetail jig templates? Would you buy them? Do you like them? Would you use them?
2) I’m pretty new, and when I apply my polyurethane after I stain, I get bubbles on the surface. Is that from the kind of brush I’m using or the way I’m putting it on?
3) I’m in the market for a Powermatic Jointer. I can probably only fit a 6″ in the shop, but I’ve been looking at their 8″ jointers. Which one would you guys go with? I’ve been looking at the 8″ model 60B or the parallelogram one.
* Bob – California (It’s currently raining… and he’s in the car.)
Just wanted to check out your new technology and give you a shout out. I was at a furniture restoration store, and a guy was refinishing a piece using a wax that was already stained. The wax looked like it already had stain in it. (It looks like Bob got cut off here, but we’re going to answer the question he was probably going to ask about tinted wax!)