What’s on the Bench?
Marc had more electrical work done in his shop and the new garage is starting to look like a shop. He’s currently cannibalizing old cabinets and using them for storage under the extension wing. He’s also teaching two classes in January at the William Ng School.
Matt finally completed Samantha’s bookcase and he’s starting a child’s dresser project.
Magazine Website Roundup:
– Home Page updated automatically: new blog posts, Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/pweditors), and new articles.
– Three great blogs: Popular WW’ing Editors Blog, Woodworking Magazine Blog, Art & Mysteries Blog (Adam Cherubini).
– A crap ton of free Sketchup models in Google’s SketchUp Wharehouse.
– Feeds Feeds everywhere! You can sign up for email notification or use the RSS feed in your own reader. No ads, no spam, just content.
Exclusive video content.
– The Woodworker’s Bookshop– Matches Amazon’s prices and they have free shipping on orders more than $25. They also have a rewards program if you buy a lot of books.
– Contact Us: Direct phone numbers and email addresses for the entire staff. Let the stalking begin.
– The article index: find back issues. Search by author, keyword or date.
– A directory of all woodworking suppliers, whether they advertise or not. Get phone numbers, web pages etc. Searchable.
The free plan blog, The Tool Addicts Blog, SketchUp blog, huge user gallery, monthly gallery contests for cool prizes, a collection of free videos on our site,Free Weekly Newsletter, Getting Started in Woodworking.
Two free video workshops:
– Build a small cabinet
– Build a wall cabinet
Paid Member Stuff:
$34.95/yr (14.95 for magazine subscribers) or $4.99/month
Video Workshops: Build a project start to finish with step-by-step video.
Technique videos for members on our site.
Current Issue published online for members.
The Archive! Use the search to find tons of old articles in pdf format.
Sent in from Michael Dove of Kaytrim’s Customs: Lee Valley Overhead Radiant Heater $55
Sent in from Kerry Drake on Facebook: $19.99 Router Base Plate with centering Pin
At WoodWerks: Delta Right Tilt 10″ 3HP Unisaws (no fence) for $699.
Zdillenger from Twitter Woodcraft: At check out, on the left side it mentions Coupon Codes. Enter 812 there and you will get 20% off all LN stuff in your cart.
It Came from the Forum:
A brown paper bag for a fine finish?? HUH WHAT?
A post by dtrust in the Wood Whisperer Forum: “I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this. A friend told me about it a couple years ago, and I’ve been doing it ever since. After all is said and done, polish the final surface with a brown paper lunch bag. It gets rid of any tiny dust nibs and leaves the surface feeling like you rubbed it with baby powder. Maybe the paper is equivilent to 10,000 grit sandpaper?”
Shannon Rogers – Renaissance Woodworker – Shannon’s world is rocked because Matt is using more power tools and Marc is using more hand tools!
Roberto – Wondering if Norm was going crazy when he dipped his tenons in water.
After Show Voicemails:
Margaret from MagnoliaWorks.com tells us exactly how to pronounce Jim Ipekjian’s name.