On today’s show we’re talking about dealing with pitch in your 2×4’s, rabbets planes, back pain, and our featured topic, how often function dictates our wood choice.
A few folks expressed interest in getting a copy of our Intro song from Andrew Allen. You can download a copy here.
What’s On the Bench
- Marc finished up the Barrister bookcase and will be turning something on his next project
- Shannon has a sick dog and was only able to smell his shop this week
- Matt came through at the last minute with a great Mother’s Day gift
- Don’t forget the good stuff you can win this month on The Wood Whisperer giveaway
- Mike Waldt has a great video on turning a lidded box.
- Peter got a new web domain and used the .furniture domain and this could be an alternative for makers.
- Tom shared an interesting video of some crazy woodworking.
- Silas Kopf does it again with breathtaking marquetry
- Dave Picciuto made exotic wood pencils!
- Brian, Michael, and Andrew all had useful feedback on the mortiser vs Domino question from last week.
- Tommaso shared a tip for dealing with glue on your pipe clamps
- Mark reminded us that a close fit chipbreaker is also essential to controlling tear out.
Poll of the Week
- Does function or form determine what kinds of wood you use in your projects?
Mr Foul Mouth wants to know if he should de-bark his logs before sawing into boards.
- Sean wants to know how to deal with 2x4s and their sticky, stinky sap.
- Wilson is in the market for a rabbet plane and wants some advice.
- Ron is seeking a solution to his shop time induced lower back pain.