It’s show #496. On today’s show we’re talking about wood movement, rasps, diamond stones, store bought workbenches, and finding free logs.
Sponsored by You
If you want to help support the show, you can do so by going to Patreon.com/woodtalk and signing up to become a patron of the show. Thank you Patrons.
Sponsored by Rockler
Rockler has been helping customers create with confidence for over 65 years. And we have a pretty cool announcement for you. Rockler is giving away a new product each month to one lucky Wood Talk listener. This month, they are giving away one of their cool, new Portable Drill Guides with a self-centering Vise. This guide has the precision of a drill press with the portability of a cordless drill. Enter for your chance to win before March 1st at Rockler.com/woodtalk. While you’re there, check out their Founder’s Day Sale which is going on right now.
What’s On the Bench
- Marc finished his gaming desks and then built a quilt ladder with Nicole
- Matt got started on his serpentine chest of drawers
- Shannon wrote an article for WoodSmith and is working on another
Emails and Voicemails
- Dan’s workbench top moved after being stable for years
- Janine asks about left vs right handed rasps
- William wonders if “budget” workbenches are worth considering
- Alex asks when his herringbone table is going to explode
- Steve asks why Shannon switched from Shapton to Diamond stones
- Kyle wants to know the best thing to search for to get logs for milling
Rockler Desks for Kids
With so many kids studying from home, the need for desks is way up. Rockler wants to encourage woodworkers to build and donate desks for kids in your community. The first 200 people to build a desk for donation and post their completed desk on Instagram with #RocklerDesksforKids will get a $50 Rockler Gift Card! Rockler has provided some easy-to-follow free plans (including one from Marc), or you can make up your own design. Find all the guidelines at Rockler.com/kids-desk-plans-diy. This initiative was inspired by Max Poindexter, the winner of the #RocklerDeskChallenge. He built 99 desks for donation in his community during the challenge.
Ask Us a Question
Send in questions via the contact form here on site or hit us up on IG at woodtalkshow or send us a voicemail using your phone voice memo app to email@example.com