On today’s show, we’re talking about grain orientation for planing, matching plywood and solid wood, and keeping glue and finishes warm in freezing temps.
- New WoodTalk.com website. Psst, you’re on it right now
- WoodTalk Weekend: a 2 day intensive hands on woodworking conference hosted by your 3 favorite podcast hosts, and Marc, Matt, and Shannon will be there too.
What’s on the Bench
- Marc- Putting additional finish on rustic table, laying out parts for the dresser and nightstands, and dodging airplanes.
- Shannon – Thinking about three upcoming commissions from a previous customer.
- Matt – sorting and rough dimensioning lumber.
- Marc on Rough Cut with a goofy grin:
- Denny sent us a box joint jig video: “This has to be the most organized back wall I have ever seen” (sorry no embed, they are disabled by the author of this video).
- Marc found this cool cross-cut sled example.
- Two new TV shows on furniture design, “Ellen’s Design Challenge” on HGTV premieres tonight, 1/26/15. And “Framework” on Spike TV. We’ll discuss these shows more next week after we get a chance to watch them.
Poll of the Week
- What’s the most you’ve spent on a single woodworking book?
- Chris and Wilbur both had comments on our discussion about Project Creep
and here’s Wilbur’s hollow chisel test.
- Peter wants to know if we would still use Sketchup even if we weren’t sharing the plans with an audience.
- Eric wants to know how to deal with glued-up panels with reversing grain.
- David wants to know what wood would be good for a faceframe on a Mid Century Credenza made with one of a kind Rosewood Plywood
- Rex wants to know if there is a way to make a heated cabinet for his glue and finishes for those long dark Canadian winters